I don't know the right place to make requests, but I have one (apologies if this isn't the appropriate spot): how about a veroboard layout for version 2.1 of the Parasit Studio Into the Unknown? The schematic is available at https://parasitstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/go-x/u/a752986f-a9c1-48ae-a188-6234a1b2e538/Into-the-Unknown-21-doc.pdf
Hey everyone. I built this as is using 1n34a and it def works and sounds rad like most of their stuff. It is a bit quiet though. If anyone has any ideas def let me know and il try it. Thanks. So verified but quiet
No no, I just glanced and read the schem wrong when I was running out the door. Sorry if I caused any confusion. Looked odd. That's quite a few diodes. And germanium tends to compress and kill your signal quite a bit.
Yeah, Ge diodes tends to eat gain and volume in soft clipping configuration, especially if they are leaky. I will try some Shottkys when I build it. Same voltage drop without leakage.
Same result here , everything works but really low output, layout seems to checkout with the schematic. I did found out connecting distortion 2+3 with filter 3 gives the output level that is desired, but it makes the sound a little less dark
I had this exact problem but sorted it by replacing IC1. When I checked my voltages on the IC pins one side was only reading 1.5 instead of vbias. It was just a dicky opamp.
I can't find it so for the meanwhile I have bridged dist 2+3 and filter 3 ; everything works , it still can be set to dark ( just a small bit volume loss )
So I gave this ago plugged it in and it goes but seems to cut out like really gated / spluttery , then it goes dead then I disconnect the 9v + and reconnect it and it’s tries to go again ,volume isn’t quite as many have said above but I for the life of me can’t figure out why it splutters I’ve checked all my tracks joins are all good , used every thing in the layout , anyone have any solutions? I’ll re flow the board just to be sure but it’s trying to go …..poor wee fella
It sounds like you probably have a solder bridge somewhere. They can be virtually invisible. Use a utility knife and cut between the tracks. I like to use a toothbrush and clean away the excess flux with alcohol. Make sure you don't get any on your components topside though. And you can shine a flashlight through the board to look for obvious touching and clean up those spots a second time.
I don't know the right place to make requests, but I have one (apologies if this isn't the appropriate spot): how about a veroboard layout for version 2.1 of the Parasit Studio Into the Unknown? The schematic is available at https://parasitstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/go-x/u/a752986f-a9c1-48ae-a188-6234a1b2e538/Into-the-Unknown-21-doc.pdf
ReplyDeleteHey everyone. I built this as is using 1n34a and it def works and sounds rad like most of their stuff. It is a bit quiet though. If anyone has any ideas def let me know and il try it. Thanks. So verified but quiet
ReplyDeleteI gave the schematic a glance. Shouldn't the germanium diodes all be flipped?
DeleteI’m def willing to try it either way. I just kinda built it from this layout to check it out just glanced at the schematic
DeleteNo no, I just glanced and read the schem wrong when I was running out the door. Sorry if I caused any confusion. Looked odd. That's quite a few diodes. And germanium tends to compress and kill your signal quite a bit.
DeleteYeah, Ge diodes tends to eat gain and volume in soft clipping configuration, especially if they are leaky. I will try some Shottkys when I build it. Same voltage drop without leakage.
DeleteI saw a demo of the V1 and in it they were talking about how it was louder than an average muff style fuzz. Maybe we're missing something.
DeleteSame result here , everything works but really low output, layout seems to checkout with the schematic. I did found out connecting distortion 2+3 with filter 3 gives the output level that is desired, but it makes the sound a little less dark
ReplyDeletePolarity of the diodes will definitely make it sound a little different, but not much, and yes sound will still come through?
ReplyDeleteCool. Thanks for the answer. I’ve honestly never tried it. Appreciate the info.
DeleteI had this exact problem but sorted it by replacing IC1. When I checked my voltages on the IC pins one side was only reading 1.5 instead of vbias. It was just a dicky opamp.
DeleteI can't find it so for the meanwhile I have bridged dist 2+3 and filter 3 ; everything works , it still can be set to dark ( just a small bit volume loss )
ReplyDeleteSo I gave this ago plugged it in and it goes but seems to cut out like really gated / spluttery , then it goes dead then I disconnect the 9v + and reconnect it and it’s tries to go again ,volume isn’t quite as many have said above but I for the life of me can’t figure out why it splutters I’ve checked all my tracks joins are all good , used every thing in the layout , anyone have any solutions? I’ll re flow the board just to be sure but it’s trying to go …..poor wee fella
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you probably have a solder bridge somewhere. They can be virtually invisible. Use a utility knife and cut between the tracks. I like to use a toothbrush and clean away the excess flux with alcohol. Make sure you don't get any on your components topside though. And you can shine a flashlight through the board to look for obvious touching and clean up those spots a second time.
Delete