That may even have been me many years ago. The circuit is basically similar to the Tonebender MK2. With additional resistors to bias a silicon transistor at Q1 etc. I made successful versions of this circuit with changes to be closer to the tone bender and also removing the first transistor to make fuzz face versions. Yes, it was the 2k2 which i changed to be the gain/fuzz potentiometer. I'll see if i can remember the values i changed. Both sounded great (i prefer smooth fuzzes). I was planning to produce them for sale, made a few, sold a couple, kept one for me,but the variation in FET characteristics made me realise it took to much time to get consistent results. If you're interested there was a runoffgrove project where they experimented with all kinds of transistors for the second one in the fuzz face (the project might be on "homewrecker" now where they placed older designs and experiments). A mosfet in the fuzz face Q2 position was an interesting version.
That was quick. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteTypo, I think: The optional capacitor on the board is C5, but the text below says C6.
ReplyDeleteMaybe swap the 33k for a 50k pot for a gain control? Lug 3 to collector of Q1, lug 2 to 10n, and lug 1 to ground. Would that work?
ReplyDeleteAfter googling, someone on another forum suggested using the 2k2 as is implemented in a FF.
DeleteThat may even have been me many years ago. The circuit is basically similar to the Tonebender MK2. With additional resistors to bias a silicon transistor at Q1 etc. I made successful versions of this circuit with changes to be closer to the tone bender and also removing the first transistor to make fuzz face versions. Yes, it was the 2k2 which i changed to be the gain/fuzz potentiometer. I'll see if i can remember the values i changed. Both sounded great (i prefer smooth fuzzes). I was planning to produce them for sale, made a few, sold a couple, kept one for me,but the variation in FET characteristics made me realise it took to much time to get consistent results. If you're interested there was a runoffgrove project where they experimented with all kinds of transistors for the second one in the fuzz face (the project might be on "homewrecker" now where they placed older designs and experiments). A mosfet in the fuzz face Q2 position was an interesting version.
DeleteMy mistake, the homewrecker experiment was for a tonebender using different transistor types: https://www.home-wrecker.com/wgtp-tbmk2.html
DeleteAh, there was a fuzz face version of the experiment: https://www.home-wrecker.com/multiface.html
DeleteVerified! Really loud, but sounds good. Thanks for the layout.
ReplyDelete