Tuesday, 7 July 2026

Jordan Fontaine Overloader

 A contribution drom Jordan Fontaine, sort of a Big Muff on steroids...

 

t's a Big Muff with a bass booster that can be blended in between Q2 and Q3. The overload of low end and volume freaks out Q3. The circuit goes from fairly standard muff to sputtering and gated goodness. I find Sustain and Overload both set around 1 or 2 o'clock gets the best sound. The tone stack is fairly flat. The Mid Shift switch gives back some of the standard scoop and makes full CCW much darker for doomy sounds. The switch ends up being fairly subtle and can easily be omitted. 

The build is verified by both my build and Fuzzonaut who gave it good review.
 

 
 

 

 

19 comments:

  1. Thanks! Any chance for the EUNA / Sceptical Buffer from PedalPCB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks snazzy Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am very proud of how the circuit worked out. I noticed I had the transistors listed wrong so I sent a fixed layout to Anders. No doubt it will be up soon.

      Delete
    2. The updated layout is up.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Man, no matter how hard i try to proof read i never get it all right. Ha.
      It doesnt matter as long as they are opposite. So let's say the left led is negative on top and the right led is negative on bottom.

      Delete
    2. Awesome thanks for the info!! And the sweet layout!

      Delete
  4. Is the volume supposed to act as a blend between the more standard muff sound and the sputtering fuzz? That's how mine is working right now, wired as shown it doesn't reduce the volume for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overload is the control that blends between stock and the blown out sound. Volume is still just volume. Perhaps some wiring is mixed up.

      Delete
  5. Is there a sound sample somewhere? I'd love to give this a go.

    Seeing that schematic makes me wonder what would happen if I place a Green Ringer there instead of this overload section, the blend knob gives a lot of applications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a cool idea. A very cool idea...im gonna give it a try. I'm thinking a stock rams head would be particularly good for that.
      If you try it i would say to keep.Q6 or you will have phase inversion problems. Plop that Green Ringer in-between r24 and c17.

      Sorry, no sound sample. I keep meaning to but you know how that goes

      Delete
    2. My thoughts exactly, maybe even use the EQD Tentacle setup instead for the additional recovery stage.

      Delete
    3. You have got me down a rabbit hole now. I'm pondering how to put an eq there. Make it like an infanem driving notion sorta. The possibilities are great. Thanks for making me hyperfixate.

      Delete
    4. Maybe we can solve the rat vs muff debate and put a rat in there. Haha

      Delete
    5. My only concern is how badly the Octave might track after two gain stages (albeit the LED clipping might help). Maybe it's worth putting it after Q1 instead? The green ringer can be picky with what signal comes into it, but the Tentacle version plays a bit nicer.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome layout! Going to give this a whirl sometime later this week. Any possible subs for BC549c - or should I order some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily go 2n5088 or 2n5089. I played with a lot of transistors and liked the BC549c the best. It is a pretty subtle difference in a circuit that is gonna swallow everything up. You'll see. :)

      Delete